Sunday, November 16, 2008

11/15/2008 - Quiet Sunday

Today, our landlord's wife, Betty, kindly drove me to the hospital, so I didn't have to deal with the subway-LIRR-taxi.

Terumi was very quiet, today, and very lucid. He knows where he is, and he knows exactly what is going on. The nurse said it was almost as if he had changed personality after the last surgery, but I think it must be a change in medicines. He is mostly off the sedative. In talking with other people in the SICU waiting room, he's not the only one with an open tummy, and almost all men try to get out as he was doing the other day.

The only thing that was strange was he asked if I had bought a small car. He said I kept telling him there was a surprise coming. I didn't tell him, but the surprise is his brother, Shiro, who will arrive here from Japan on the 18th. Taketo is going to drive him to Manhasset, and I booked a hotel room. One of the nurses early on told me that Terumi was asking for Shiro, wanting to see him, and Shiro said the same thing to me over the phone.

He was able to watch the Giants game, and I hope he enjoyed it. He's hungry and thirsty, but almost too quiet. He knows there is another surgery to get through, and it may come tomorrow. While he was watching the game, I walked up the hill to the extended care facility and had a nice visit with Dr. and Mrs. Feldman. She is so tiny and fragile.

Terumi kept asking when Taketo would come. Finally he did, while the nurses were changing shifts. Since Terumi is watching everyone who comes in the door of SICU, I thought we better not tell him about Shiro, otherwise he will be hoping every person who opens the door is the one he wants most to see.

I have no idea if surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. Dr. Blau didn't come by, but he certainly deserves a day off. They took the tube out, indicating there won't be surgery, but on the other hand they won't let Terumi eat or drink, indicating there will be surgery. Mixed signals -- I have no idea what to tell my boss about tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

TJ san's brother's surprise visit from Japan will be the greatest gift! I am glad TJ had a quiet Sunday.