Saturday, November 15, 2008

11/11/2008 - Happy Birthday, Terumi!!!

I went home soon after the nurses changed shifts. The new nurse seemed "schlumpy" somehow. I thought I would take a nap, but instead ended up answering questions, catching up email and just doing things. Before going back, I stopped to pick up a cake for Terumi. Really, we'll have a big party later.

When I got there, I realized how wrong I had been about the nurse. Carol had him smiling, and his eyes were open. She had untied his hands, and was lifting his arms above his head -- Whee!!! She is a great nurse. He was bathed, shaved and looked very good. She is an earth mother, and he was clearly happy.

Before going back to the hospital, I had called Lydia in Dr. Feldman's office about seeing Mrs. Feldman, Dr's wife, who is in the extended care facility that everyone says is "just up the hill". I debated about giving the cake to Mrs. Feldman, but Lydia said she is very allergic to soy. Not wanting to chance it, I gave the cake to the nurses. They all gathered around and sang "Happy Birthday", and Terumi smiled.

Here is what I wrote to my brother:
"Dear Mikie . . . I've learned something about Terumi that neither he nor I knew for sure -- he's a fighter, and he's an optimist. Otherwise he wouldn't have been smiling and laughing!!!"

No comments: