Saturday, November 15, 2008

11/05/2008 - This Blog is born

In the early morning Wednesday, the SICU nurse called me between 6 and 7 am, asking if she could give him another unit of blood. I said "yes" and put a message about it on Dr. Feldman's voicemail, asking him to check. At that time, I wasn't aware that he was visiting Terumi every day.

This was the same morning when I spoke to Dr. Tsuchiya about 3 am, and Shiro-san a little later. He wanted more information, probably because he couldn't understand why they were not closing Terumi's incision.

Terumi seemed good when we visited, even though still heavily sedated asleep. He was less swollen, and receiving medication to keep his heart regular and his blood pressure OK. He coughed a little. To me, he seemed a little bit disturbed and frustrated by our visit. He seemed to blow us a kiss, and we saw he was struggling to open his eye. We thought he could hear us, and so we decided to try to do things that were calming when we visited the next time.

During our visit, the nurse gave him some medication, and his blood pressure shot up into the stratosphere. Frankly, so did ours. Actually, we were both scared shitless. She got it settled back down where it ought to be, but we were really shaken up.

I realized that talking and explaining to many people was costing me energy and leaving me too drained to help Terumi. Michael said he would create this blog to let Terumi's friends know what was going on.

No comments: